Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fairness in Assessment & Learning Targets

First I want to start with talking about fairness in assessment. The most influential statement I took from this chapter was that assessment should be fair to students from all ethnic and socioeconomic backgrouns, as well as students with disabilities.

As far as learning targets go, I discovered that as a teacher you can assess the same learning targets in several different ways, because there are a number of different learning targets. A general learning target is a statement of an expected learning outcome that is derived from an educational goal. A specific learning target is a clear statement about what students are to achieve at the end of a unit of instruction. And then of course, there are mastery learning targets which are statements of what students can do at the end of instruction. I added these to my blog because I believe that they're important and need to be identified.

2 comments:

  1. Christine,

    I totally agree with your point about assessment not discriminating against any groups. Tests should be fair to every student. I feel that keeping assessment equal to all students gives everyone a chance to reach their academic excellence. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the way you describe learning targets and i really liked your statement about assessment.

    ReplyDelete