Sunday, April 5, 2009

Portfolios

In my personal opinion I think portfolios are a really usful tool to track student development. Portfolios should involve both the teacher and student. You always want the student, in my opinion to choose the assignments, projects, etc. that they would like to include in their portfolio with the guidance of the teacher who should help them choose the material that will show the most development from the last piece included in the portfolio to now. So the teacher should give suggestions to the students including telling them what material s/he thought showed the most improvement and the most effort.

I also believe that portfolios should be passed on from grade to grade with an accumulation of portfolios for the student to have when they graduate from high school. This will allow students to see how far they've come and how much they've learned from the begining of the year to the end, in addition to see how much they've learned this year in comparison to last.

I would definitely consider utilizing portfolios in my classroom. I think they have a lot of really positive aspects to them and even if people don't believe in them, they will be a display of the progress of each student.

5 comments:

  1. Christine,

    I agree that portfolios should be passed on from grade to grade because it allows the students to see how fat they've come. They are able to see their progression as the years go on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,

    I agree with you on portfolios. I think they are a great way for students to see how far the have progressed throughout the year and from the last assignment.

    I like your idea of having the portfolio follow the student from grade to grade, but I don't know how realistic it is. It may work, but what happens when you get to that teacher that doesn't like the ideas of portfolios and only puts in one maybe two pieces of work from each student?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine,

    I like your post on portfolios! I agree with you that they should follow the students. How cool would it be to have a portfolio from every grade when you graduate high school? nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,
    I completely agree. Portfolios are one of my favorites especially when referring to progress. Kids sometimes need the reassurance that they are doing better, and reflecting on a portfolio would definitely help! I would have loved to have one for every grade I was in, but let's hope we can do that for our future children! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have hit the nail on the head.

    Portfolios are authentic and should be used consistently.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete